Thursday, February 15, 2007

Ellis Rochelson, sports writer for the The Brown Daily Herald (sounds like a sports writer for The Brown Daily Herald) has Gerald Laird as the catcher most-likely to have a break out season. Rochelson expouses (how's that for a Brown word?):

"Now that Rod Barajas is out of town, Laird has the catching job all to himself. Last year in a platoon role, he hit .296 with seven home runs in only 243 at-bats. With the security of a starting job and the pleasure of hitting in homer-friendly Ameriquest Field, Laird should approach 20 home runs in '07. Laird turns 28 this year - the magical age of breakout seasons - and can be found in the last round of most fantasy drafts. He may have one of the ugliest names in baseball - second only to Dan Uggla - but the guy can hit." Link.

But I'm not sure Rochelson did his research mlb.com isn't so high on Laird as a fantasy pick. They argue that he is the 21st best catcher in the majors and justify that placement with Laird's .191 avg. and no home runs or rbi's in 68 September at bats. They do think he is capable of .290/15/65. I'd be happy with that, but if he picks it up against righties, I'm more inclined to side with my boy from Brown. Besides, mbl.com has been screwing me around about setting up my blog in their site. I wouldn't invest any money in an account with them. The customer service is incompetent. I wonder if Selig is linked in some way...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope you liked the article! Your response makes me very excited, I love that people all over the world can read what I write for my humble little school paper.

I write a new article nearly every week, check them out on Thursdays at www.browndailyherald.com!

-Ellis